Stop smoking is one of the most common reasons people seek hypnotherapy. There are two main types of smokers: the identification and replacement smoker. The identification smoker begins smoking because his or her friends smoked and they want to be part of this group. If they continue to identify with this group, smoking will become a deeply ingrained habit. The replacement smoker uses cigarettes to replace a habit such as eating, confidence, stress or anxiety and gets oral gratification from the cigarette. They receive pleasure from the ritual of smoking as well.
The steps I go through with clients to assist them to quit smoking include contacting them by phone and spending about 15 minutes discussing whether they are ready to stop smoking. If you are not ready (you are doing this for your doctor or spouse), it won't be effective. If that is the case, then we can work on motivation and when you are ready, then work on stop smoking. There are some people who aren't addicted and can stop smoking more easily. For others, it will require multiple sessions. Smoking is a chemical and psychological issue. People continue to have cravings because it's not just a physical addiction but a psychological issue. With hypnosis, we work on replacing and changing the habitual pattern.
Smoking is harmful to both the smoker and nonsmoker alike by causing various types of cancer. There are over 7,000 harmful chemicals in tobacco that can include hydrogen cyanide, carbon monoxide, ammonia, formaldehyde and much more.
When you quit smoking, you can experience some of the following positive changes in your body:
- Within 20 minutes of your last cigarette blood pressure adjusts to natural levels, pulse rate adjusts to a normal level and the body temperature of the hands and feet increase to normal.
- In 8 Hours carbon monoxide level drops to normal.
- In 24 Hours chance of a heart attack is significantly decreased.
- 48 Hours nerve endings start to re-grow, the ability to smell and taste improves.
- 72 Hours bronchial tubes begin relaxing and lung capacity begins to increase.
- 2 Weeks to 3 months circulation in the body improves, walking becomes easier, lung function increases up to 30%.
- 1 to 9 Months coughing, sinus congestion, fatigue, shortness of breath decreases. Cilia regrows in the lungs, increasing ability to handle mucus, cleans the lungs and reduces infection.
- 5 Years lung cancer death rate for the average smoker (one pack per day), decreases from 137 per 100,000 people to 72 per 100,000 people (after - 10 years, rate drops to 12 deaths per 100,000) or almost the rate of a person who never smoked.
- 10 Years Pre-cancerous cilia are replaced. Other cancer such as those of the mouth, larynx, esophagus, kidney and pancreas decreases.
ALL OF THESE BENEFITS ARE LOST...IF ONE CIGARETTE A DAY IS SMOKED!
Make a firm promise and commitment to yourself and choose to live your life healthy, strong, vital, vibrant and powerfully alive by freeing yourself from the bonds of cigarettes.
Call or email Shelley Halpern, Los Angeles Hypnotherapist today to start the process of change. 818-205-7271
In person or phone sessions available.